Saturday, January 28, 2012

One Creditor Paid Off

Remember I posted a while back about the fact that I was in debt?  Well good news, I paid off a creditor.  It took a while but with the help of CareOne I was able to get it paid off.  I can now move that money I would pay to that creditor to Capital One.  I've still got over $4,000 on this card but it sure is better than the $8,000 I had last year.  My plan is to add a little more every month to the CareOne program to get Cap One paid off as soon as possible.  I am hoping if I get a large return it will take a big chunk out of that debt.

I am not going to stress about my student loans right now, I have made the minimum payments and decided to use what I have to pay down the high interest debt.  I will get working on them as soon as we get the truck paid off.  We'll see how things work out.  Wedding/travel plans will just have to wait, I would prefer to go on a debt free vacation then to get more into debt to travel. 

I've learned that if I can not afford something I do not buy it.  It's not easy because there are things I want but I don't have to have them.  I have also learned that it is important to teach my kids to be responsible about money.  My parents tried and I chose to ignore their advice and warnings.  My parents have no debt and have their house almost paid off and are fairly set.  They do not struggle even after retirement and I know it's because they were always smart with their financial life.

No comments:

Post a Comment